Young people are “feeling the burn,” not only at the gym and at the polls, but also in their daily lives. The 24/7 culture is catching up with both Ys and Zs, leading to a struggle with burnout that’s shaping up to be the next major health crisis. Burnout is estimated to cost $125 billion and $190 billion annually in healthcare spending in the U.S., but, as HBR notes, “the true cost to business can be far greater, thanks to low productivity across organizations, high turnover, and the loss of the most capable talent.” Their desire to hustle and get ahead is prevalent not only among those in white collar jobs but also among blue collar workers.
The implications go beyond the workplace and school campus, as we found in this report; indeed, Ys and Zs feel burnout in their personal lives as well. They’ve become inundated by the always on nature of media, the constant access they and their friends have to one another via their digital devices, and the pressure to craft highly active and “shareable” lives. Their personal level of burnout is impacting their media habits, their social habits, and even their attitudes toward medicine as they seek to combat their burnout.
For brands, youth’s latest struggle presents an opportunity to provide help and solutions—and earn their loyalty in return. As with the last major health crisis that spawned the green juice-fueled wellness movement, brands need to enter this space thoughtfully and with a deep understanding of the causes and cultural context in which young people are existing. Available exclusively for members, The Burnout Report helps brands be among the first to address this growing need among young people to combat—and not increase—their sense of being burnt out.
Available exclusively for Cassandra members, The Burnout Report identifies the sources of youth’s burnout, how they are reacting by evolving their habits, and how brands can come to their rescue by providing an antidote rather than an amplification of this feeling. Open it to:
- Truly Feel The Burn—or at least, get a sense of just how burnt out modern youth feel, as well as how burnout became a cultural phenomenon.
- Delve into Set In (E)motion: The Guide To Gen Y Burnout to get the lowdown on Gen Y burnout.
- Take in Peace Of Mind: The Guide To Gen Z Burnout to download the full picture of Gen Z burnout.
- Understand why youth feel they must Always Be Hustling to get ahead and fulfill their need for passion-driven work through side projects and hustles.
- Immerse yourself in Over Stimulation to understand why brands need to differentiate themselves from the overwhelming noise of modern life youth are constantly filtering through.
- Have a Free For All and see how youth are spending their downtime when they can get it.
- Zone out with To Your Heart’s Content, and uncover why youth are seeking “contentless content” as a reprieve from the overstimulation they experience on a daily basis.
- Kick back with High Society to explore the avenues in which youth are self-medicating their burnout.
- Take stock of youths’ state of financial burnout in No Money, More Problems.
Numbers To Know